Sunday, May 18, 2008

Challenges and Suggestions

The most common response I hear to the plastic bag challenge is "I have the reusable bags, but I forget to bring them." Habits are hard to break, harder to form, but with a little persistence and some practical tips, we know it's doable!

Here's what I suggest. Cloth grocery totes are everywhere now. We sell them (shameless promotion - they're cute and cost $7/each or 3 for $20) but so does every major grocery store now, usually for about a buck each. I have at least ten in the back of each car. Many times I've gotten to the register and realize the bags are in my car. I simply leave my cart for a minute and run out to get them. Two minutes, no guilt!

I find it's easy to remember them at the grocery store but harder to remember to bring a bag in to the drugstore or bookstore. The key for me is leave at least one bag in between the front seats, right where I put my purse. When I grab my purse, I grab my bag - it's as simple as that.

So keep fighting the good fight. If you forget, just aim to remember the next time. Habits are hard to break, harder to form, but it's worth it.

2 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, I am *SO* succeeding at The Challenge. I of course always forget bags, so just pile the stuff back in the cart, or, usually, into my arms. And Bill's arms. And passing shoppers heading to their cars' arms. I love it; my habits are truly changed.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

By the way, that's me, Ellie, writing up there.